What to expect…
Amazing Tails clients come from all backgrounds and have many different physically limiting conditions some of which include:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Cerebral Palsy
- Head Trauma
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Cardiac Conditions
Each application is considered on its merits, regardless of age, ethnicity, religion or gender. Note: applications regarding children will also be considered.
Step 1 – Application
Our training staff will carefully review the information you submit in your application. We will contact you within 10 days to ask any questions we have, schedule an interview or let you know that our organization doesn’t fit your needs.
- Please understand that getting a dog is a personal experience and a huge responsibility
- Please provide thoughtful responses by taking your time and providing detailed answers for each question
- The more descriptive and specific you can be, the more it will help us determine if you are a good candidate
- Your answers are strictly confidential
Step 2 – Interview
Potential clients must be willing and able to travel to southeastern Pennsylvania to participate in an initial interview so we can carefully learn about and understand your needs. We also want to obtain feedback about the info you included in your application and your goals.
Step 3 – Paperwork
- Sign contract
- There is a substantial financial commitment when obtaining a service dog. We work hard to lower the cost, but it takes up to two years to train a dog for service. The cost of the dog is $12,500. We require an initial $1000 deposit at the time a training agreement is signed. The remainder is due after a successful final training.
- The client will be added to the waiting list which is approximately 3 years. Preference is given to returning clients.
- Our clients have been successful at various types of fundraising efforts and some of them have raised the entire cost of their service dog. Remember that you will have a substantial amount of time to coordinate fundraising efforts before your dog will be ready for service. However, no client is required to participate in fundraising or public relations activities to benefit Amazing Tails without their expressed and voluntary permission.
- We create a client profile in our computer system to track both the progress of the client and the service dog.
- We will set up accounts for you in our support groups so you can connect with our other clients.
Step 4 – Dog Placement & Training
- Amazing Tails has years of valuable experience finding dogs that have the traits and qualities best suited for the tasks they will be performing. Clients are highly encouraged to assist our trainers throughout training, including the selection of skills to be taught, as well as working directly with the dogs during training, if possible. This involvement allows our trainers to customize the skills being taught so they will meet your needs.
- Upon successful completion of the Amazing Tails partnership training, ownership of the dog is transferred to the client. We retain ownership of the dog’s official equipment and certification documents and in rare instances may remove the equipment for cause.
- All of our dogs are kept in a household environment with an assigned trainer. Our dogs do not live in a kennel while they are trained.
- At Amazing Tails, service dogs are trained to the highest standards of the service dog industry.
Our positive training methods ensure that the dogs enjoy working.
Step 5 – Final Training
Final training brings the team together to train the handler.
- The training will be held in the trainers home
- The client is responsible for traveling to southeastern, Pennsylvania, but all transportation, accommodations, and training costs will be provided upon arrival. However, we are out and about every day during lunch for training. The cost of lunch is the responsibility of the trainee.
- A variety of training destinations will be visited on most days during final training.
- Some of the places we train: Philadelphia Zoo, Longwood Gardens, Christiana Mall, Ikea, Camden Aquarium in New Jersey, as well as many others.
Once your training is complete…
- The journey has just begun! Amazing Tails prides itself on maintaining long-term relationships with our clients. Trainers will keep in close contact after you return home with new service dog. As issues arise, most issues can be corrected before they become a problem.
- You are not alone.
- Amazing Tails has an active support community of other service dog owners, just like you. They share their experiences and support each other in day-to-day challenges. We also offer important news, information and resources to you.
- We frequently host events in southeastern Pennsylvania where we try to bring our clients together. We can use this time to “talk shop,” do evaluations and meet the teams.