Do apartments, mobile home parks and other residential properties have to comply with the ADA?

The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) applies to housing programs administered by state and local governments, such as public housing authorities, and by places of public accommodation, such as public and private universities.

In addition, the Fair Housing Act applies to virtually all types of housing, both public and private, including housing covered by the ADA. Under the Fair Housing Act, housing providers are obligated to permit, as a reasonable accommodation, the use of animals that work, provide assistance or perform tasks that benefit persons with disabilities.

For information about these Fair Housing Act requirements See HUD’s Notice on Service Animals and Assistance Animals for People with Disabilities in Housing and HUD-funded Programs.

Do commercial airlines have to comply with the ADA?

No. The Air Carrier Access Act is the Federal law that protects the rights of people with disabilities in air travel.
For information or to file a complaint, contact the U.S. Department of Transportation, Aviation Consumer Protection Division, at 202-366-2220.

Please Click the button below to help Amazing Tails with a donation to assist in making service dogs more affordable to those who need them the most!